Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Week 69: Conference Came at the Right Time

Here´s a long message to make up for last week! 
On Tuesday this week we had interviews with President Calquin and I realized that I will only have two more interviews with him...wow.

On Thursday it was really hard because Karla and Ricardo, the parents from the family that we found told us that they didn't want to keep listening to us. They were progressing so well but they went to another church and said they felt better there. They also didn't like the idea of the Word of Wisdom and other excuses. I guess now isn't their time- they aren't ready to change for now, but they said that we could keep teaching their kids. Juan, Ricardo´s brother told us that he is smoking and he doesn't believe that he can quit. We think that for now the 9 year old twins, Morena and Alma can´t get baptized because the parents aren't going to take them to church. But the good news is that their oldest daughter Brisa (12 years old) loves the church and is excited to get baptized. We are planning her baptism for this Saturday. We´ll see what happens. The Young Women have really become friends with her. It will be a little harder since the parents aren't supporting her as much. 

Another investigator that came to church is struggling because her spouse is opposed to the church and won´t let us in. He is even hiding her Book of Mormon. Also, all of our appointments fell through. We couldn't find anybody new this week. We are having trouble finding our investigators in their homes. With all this, I was very discouraged. Satan is working hard against the people and it is so sad to see investigators who we are continually praying and studying for choose another path or put obstacles in the way of their progress. I was so glad that General Conference was this weekend because I definitely needed a spiritual boost. 

On Friday I had exchanges with Hermana Lima from Brazil. Her companion Hermana Chappel and Hermana Medford went to the temple since they are finishing their mission. She actually left for the mission the same day as Dean so she has been out only 3 months in the mission. I loved working with her. All the people I´ve met here from Brazil have really strong personalities and are so funny! Dad- are all the people from Brazil like that? I was reminded of my companion Hermana Dias from Brazil because they had similar accents and personalities. 

Then Saturday and Sunday we went to the stake Center in Adrogue to watch Conference! There was a room where all of us from the States could watch all the sessions (except the Women´s Session) in English. A few Latinos joined us to see how much they could understand! I am so grateful because it is just not the same to watch it in Spanish- the translator is a little monotone and it just isn't as great as listening to the real voices of the speakers.

In between sessions on Saturday we went to eat at a Chinese Buffet that was in Adrogue-so good! In the two hours in between sessions there was not enough time to return to our areas to work so this weekend was a little break from proselyting. On Sunday all the sister missionaries in the Stake got together and we ate and talked together in the chapel. We counted that we had people from 9 different countries! Amazing how the church is worldwide and how the truth unites us. I was able to see Hermana Lopez and Hermana Rivarola again so I was so happy! I love them so much and I cherish the time I had with them a ton! Right now they are both traveling sisters who stay in each area for one week. What a hard thing- I am so glad that I was never called to do that.

As for the Conference, I loved every talk in the Saturday morning session. Elder Holland´s talk was so great and I am amazed at how time and time again his talks are so powerful. I noticed the themes about the importance of service and of reading the Book of Mormon every day. President Russel M. Nelson´s talk about the Book of Mormon was so good as well and I loved the self-evaluating questions he asked. I liked Elder W. Craig´Zwick´s talk ``Look beyond what you see`` as well. I noticed that many speakers quoted Pres. Monson.  We heard a lot from him even though he couldn't go to conference. And of course it was really special to hear Elder Neil L. Anderson´s talk since Elder Hales passed away. I loved to hear what Elder Hales wanted to tell us and to hear more about how the Speakers prepare their talks. We are so blessed to be able to hear what God wants us  to change or continue doing through his servants the prophets and I truly felt the love of God as I listened.

Love you all!

Hermana McBride

Pictures from General Conference and Exchanges:


9 Different Countries Represented Among these Sisters! Amazing to see the gospel go forth across the Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment