Monday, August 15, 2016

Week 11:Sometimes not understanding is a blessing in disguise!



Yesterday after church I was feeling stressed  that I couldn´t speak better Spanish and understand more, and then on the way home,a man came up to us and started yelling and pointing his finger at us when he found out we were Mormons. I understood some words and I knew his tone was mean but I didn´t really know what he was saying. Afterwards my companion was really upset and apparently what he had said was really threatening and vile. I was rather amused by it and wasn´t really bothered. Then later there were some girls in the streets that were talking about terrible things too and all of this I didn´t understand while my companion was struggling to keep it together. Because I didn´t understand, my mind wasn´t burdened and I was able to comfort my companion a little, lift her spirits, and change the subject. So I learned that for now there are still good things about not being fluent in Spanish!

"Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses." (1 Timothy 6:12)


                          [Note from Adam: We found out this week that Audrey's companion, (Hermana Abate Daga,) prior to her mission, won the Miss Cordoba competition in her hometown of Cordoba, Argentina]


On Saturday we had a Capilla Abierta which means "Open Chapel." 35 missionaries all got together and invited people to come have a tour of the church and watch church videos. Then in the afternoon, my companion and I were tour guides and helped people learn about the basic doctrines of the Church. It was great and I got to know some other sisters and elders more.  (Dad, I talked to Hermana Shepard who was Sister Small´s companion and she was really great. She told me to just be patient with the language and that I am still in my first transfer. (Which is true but it seems like I've been in the field much longer!) She said it just takes time and told me to read the Book of Mormon in Spanish every day. So I am trying it and will try to be more patient with my weaknesses.

Mom:
The food is all pretty good. There are lots of pastas, bread, meat, soups, rice and chicken, pizza. None of it is very healthy and there is a lot of fried food, but we eat a lot of fruit in the pench. ["Pench" is an anglicized form of "pension," the regional word for apartment.] 
     I am learning to respectfully say no to second helpings at lunch and then not eat very much for dinner. They never give us dessert, maybe just an orange- the members are all pretty poor but still feed us a lot of food. I´ll send pictures of the pench next week and try to take more during the week.

Staying Positive, Even When Things are Hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment